Magnesium has been referred to as the relaxation mineral because of its ability to calm the user down. Magnesium is required for over 360 biochemical reactions in your body. If there is low magnesium intake then the body can not complete energy pathways required to feel your best. NIH states that greater than 65% of the population is deficient in this crucial mineral. Some experts believe the number is much higher. Due to poor diet and over-farming that strips magnesium from the soil, virtually everyone requires magnesium supplementation for maximum vitality.
What Causes Magnesium Depletion?
- Excessive caffeine
- Certain heartburn medication
- Birth control pills
- Chemotherapy agents (cisplatin)
- Certain antibiotics (Magnesium should be taken 2-3 hours away from antibiotics because it may interfere with absorption of antibiotic.)
- Immunosupressants (Cyclosporin)
- High fructose corn syrup
Magnesium deficiency affects every system of the body.
- Tension in the upper back, shoulders and neck
- Pre-menstrual fluid retention and/or breast tenderness
- Low energy
- Fatigue physical and mental
- Anxiousness, panic attacks
- Poor digestion
- PMS and hormonal imbalances
- Inability to sleep
- Muscle tension, spasm and cramps
- Calcification of organs
- Persistent under-eye twitch
- Weakening of the bones
- Abnormal heart rhythm
Magnesium comes in different forms including capsules, powder, and Epsom salt baths. Not all magnesium supplements are created equal. For maximum absorption and benefits choose a physician grade magnesium supplement. Stop in the Guyer Institute supplement store to see what type of magnesium is best for you.
– Chris McMullen Pharm. D., RPh